Monday, February 13, 2006

Some ideas

21W.780 Mobile Technology Blog
I like the idea that Neil had about combining the social network of the internet with our GPS capabilities. When Neil mentioned facebook and livejournal I thought of flickr.com, which is a site for viewing personal photos. and myspace.com which is similar to the facebook. I was thinking of a profiling system that took information from such sites and placed them in a phone version that showed all the information from those sites in a nice, simple package. Then using the GPS abilities, one could view profiles of people that are in the area. I think interaction among people would increase as the initial confrontation is eased by the use of a profile interaction and messaging.

Other Ideas

Reading from The Social Life of Cameraphone Images, I took that a system that could automatically share images with friends would be highly valued. After playing with the phone for a bit I found out that you can select as many contacts as wish when sending the image as a message to another phone. I haven't gotten the emailing working yet, but I'll assume that it has the same capabilities. I not sure if the A780 is able to save certain sets of contacts when sending photos. I believe most people have a set circle of friends that they are in contact with and I think it would be a haste to constantly have to select each friend. Creating a Sharing List that would allow quick sharing to many people would be useful. Then encorporating the profiling system idea one could use it to share with people you know that fit a certain profile.

Reading from How Do People Manage Their Digital Photographs, I found out that
annotating photos is essential for searching for photos. This might be important if when one uses their phone as their main storage of photos which could become the case. An automatic annotation engine that adds tags to photos, would make text based queries more powerful. Using the GPS system, such an engine would add a tag to the photo indicating the place where the took it. An ambitious engine would would use a picture of a friend from a profiling system like the one above and attemp to find a match of it in the image taken and tag the friends name.

10 Comments:

Blogger MattAdkisson said...

Photos would be a neat medium to work with. I know there is a new web company called Riya (riya.com) that has explored ways for users to annotate photos and share them with others. They also have done some work on how users can train software to auto annotate photos for them. I haven't played around with their service so I am not sure about the details but you may want to check it out.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Jen Lee said...

One idea I've been thinking about is also along the lines of incorporating myspace/friendster-like profiles with our phones.

There was a dating service tested in Asia a while ago where people could join a dating community and have their phones notify them if and when they walked near a compatible match or fellow community member. I read somewhere about how people are finding it harder to approach people in public because many are listening to their ipods, so I thought it might be fun if people could shoot someone nearby (I guess via Bluetooth) a link to their profile, a kind of "hey, check out my profile and get back to me if you find my profile interesting."

I was also thinking of something more music-related, perhaps the ability to check out what someone on the T was listening to at the moment, but at the moment have no idea how I would go about putting that together. (I used to use Listen-to.com, which kept an active update on what you were currently listening to on Winamp or similar music player, that your friends could look into, seeing what your ten most played songs, albums, genres, etc were. Their site and service went down a while ago however, and I don't know what happened to them or if they plan to come back anytime soon.)

11:18 PM  
Blogger Jen Lee said...

Oops, correction-- Listen-To is planning on coming back, but is currently being completely revamped etc with no specific come-back date. Listen-to.com

11:40 PM  
Blogger Dmitry said...

one idea, which I explained in the class was to use GPS on smart phone to set the location of the appointment. Let's say two people want to meet each otehr at certain time in a certain location. Instead of physically describing the location (I live in a brick 5-story building with a sign RESTAURANT on first floor), one person sends GPS coordinates to the other's phone (he specifies location on the map on his phone, and his phone sends gps coordinates to the otehr phone). The receiver's phone gets a message asking him whether he wants to generate directions from his current position to teh meeting destination at the moment or whether he would like to save that in his itinerary. When it is time to go to a meeting, the phone reminds him whether he wants to view directions.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I think my plan is kinda boring, looking to some advice to make it more exciting...

3:46 AM  
Blogger Dmitry said...

on an unrelated note, has anyone been able to successfully port their simple applications into the phone? I cant seem to generate a JAR file with Wireless Toolkit (for A780). Eclipse would not let me compile a tiny helloworld app.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

Along the lines of listen-to is last.fm. It has a plug in for win amp and iTunes and lets you publish what you've been listening to. Our lab actually has some research going in this area and if anyone is interested, I can share an advance copy of a paper I'm presenting at CHI this year on music and photo use. We have an application called Music Presence that lets you see what your friends have been listening to lately (or right now) and post lightweight comments to them.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

dmitry, what sort of error are you getting when trying to make your JAR/JAD?

10:26 AM  
Blogger Hayden said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Hayden said...

I agree there would be a lot of value in a 'mobile Friendster' that exploited GPS. At the moment there are what seem to be some really simple applications out there -- you may have seen Dodgeball.com, which is entirely SMS-based and requires you to compose a message saying where you are before Dodgeball circulates the information to your registered friends. And you can pick 5 'crushes' online and be notified when they're in the area. It operates in Boston -- perhaps the whole class should sign up! We could see how convenient/annoying it is, maybe gathering ideas along the way.

I'm sure some others will have seen the important Serendipity, a Bluetooth-based social networking system from the Media Lab: http://reality.media.mit.edu/serendipity.php. I don't know whether the server and 'Bluedar' are still running on-campus -- if so, it might be useful to use connect our phones up to that system.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Dmitry said...

I posted my error in the comments of the very first post...

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home