Saturday, February 25, 2006

Call to Arms

Hey everyone, there seems to the this large idea of social networking technology floating around the blog, and I am curious how many people were interested in it. I feel that this can be a really awesome project if there were a lot of us working on it, and at the same time incorporating from other projects.

Currently from my end, I am looking particularly at Flickr and photo sharing. Personally I would rather go to my contact list and see if my friends had any recently photos added instead of going through an app. I was thinking if there are lot of ideas that deal with one's person contacts, editing the contact list might be a good idea. I.E. if I was editing the contact Bill, I would enter say his username into a flickr textfield, then the backend would search for his page, collect his photos, and view them when I click on a button in the popup menu at his contact info. You could imagine something like this working for other networks, like a blogger and read what you a contacts most recent post.

I think where I am going with this is the idea of giving the contact list a small makeover. This would be native but would really cool to see. I have a small issue implementing this in a java app since it might be cumbersome having to go through your applications click on the app and then go walk yourself through it to see your friend's most recent photos. Everyone goes through their contact list to call anyway, so the idea is say I wanted to call Bill I could possibly check if he has any recent photos and then call him say something about them.

Another view option could be through google maps. Is there anyone thinking of implementing something with google maps , when I look at Flickr, I think it would be cool, especially for that friend that travels alot to see her photos from a map.

Another personalization of a contact might be what that contact is listening to, through a web service incorporating AudioScrobbler which Last.fm implements.

The meat and potatoes of it all would be:
- setting up the web service(s) that will do the talking between the networks and the phone.
- creating the textfields in the editing option of contact list and the buttons in the popu menu
- writing the code that would take the input from the from the text fields, make the call to the web service and retrieve the requested info.
- gui(s) for view the info from the networks.

I think this can work out really well with three of four heads in on it. Anyone interested.

3 Comments:

Blogger Daniel L. Campos said...

Something else I was thinking of was adding something like a photo layer ontop of your wallpaper of the most recent photo taken. That way when you view say Bill's contact info you see his most recent photo underneath his info.

8:31 PM  
Blogger joe said...

hen daniel -- I think our project ideas actually overlap in many ways. I've emailed you to see if you want to meet and plan this out.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Jake Muhleman said...

This idea of using Google maps could be a nice visual way to see the GPS waypoints that Casey and I are setting in our program that we are writing. I will have to check it out.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home